I just read again this summary about Meditation in an article about „How to take a day off“ here in one of my fav’s blog called „Dumb little man – Tips for Life“:
To me, this is the most valuable thing you can do on your day off. Many people have misconceptions on what meditation really is. Many believe it is just simply learning to concentrate; this is false “meditation”. Meditation that leads you to deep concentration will just make you more closed. Your aspiration in mediation is to become more open, open to existence. Meditation is beyond the scope of this article, I suggest you go to your local bookstore or library and get acquainted with the subject.
- You will develop a calm mind.
- You will progressively go from reactive to proactive.
- You will begin to understand and become aware of your internal decision making process
- You will come to understand many of the subtle levels in which your mind operates.
- You will realize that you are not separate but are one with the whole. This will not be a logical understanding but an inner knowingness.
- You will come to understand and not be dominated by your ego. Your ego serves its purpose in society; you need some reference point to be able to participate in it. But, your true identity is beyond your name, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and your body. Meditation will undo all the negative damage that society has imposed on you.
- You will develop trust and not just believe in something. When you believe something that is just in the mind, when you trust that is a deep knowing in your entire being. Trust to go into the unknown.